Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Rockstar Games, I am your bitch.

So, let's face facts about this: this company has never made a bad game, not once. Well... ok, let's forget about Smugglers Run, The Warriors and The Italian Job. But, let's not forget Earthworm Jim 3D and Bully.

Rockstar has always had the ability to package an extremely violent and seemingly irrelevant game and make it into something relevant. The Grand Theft Auto games have always had a deeper and more sinister meaning to them, such as IV's "Immigrant Story" and San Andreas' comments on racial tensions and inequality.

What's really exciting is their upcoming games, though. I'm going absolutely insane this last week before Red Dead Redemption comes out, I'm amped about Max Payne 3 and I nearly shat myself the first time I saw the trailer for LA Noire. Plus, I recall hearing that they're working on a James Bond-esque game, which puts them in a fantastic position.

One of the most endearing things about Rockstar games is their ability to continue Grand Theft Auto. It's absolutely amazing the amount of work and detail they put into each title in the series, but what's even more amazing is the amount of work and detail they put into spin-offs, extra content and new episodes. I played Vice City (not for the first time, but it was the first time I sat down and played through it) in order to better understand Vice City Stories. And I recall playing Liberty City Stories and knowing my way around Liberty City like the back of my hand. Those were also the last Playstation 2 games I bought. They were almost like a death rattle for the dying system.

Now, I know a different Liberty City. One that's rendered in beautiful hi-def, gripped in terror of terrorists, riddled with cell phones and filled with animated and wonderful people. In preparation of Red Dead Redemption I'm currently replaying GTA IV, Lost and the Damned and finally dug in and bought The Ballad of Gay Tony (expect a review of BoGT this week and one of Red Dead Redemption by the end of next week). And everything about the game that I loved when it first came out still rings true, localization for the game (chronologically) won't grant it the timeless quality that I'd hope a game like this has to offer due to the use of technology and references. Three years later it seems more valid than it was when it first came out but in ten it may be outdated to the point that playing it is a chore. I hope it won't be, cause I want my kids to play it. To help them understand the "Immigrant Story" and that people are forced into doing things by other people sometimes and that they shouldn't be that type of person.

Red Dead Redemption should be no different. I'm'a sucker for Westerns, one of my favorite movie series is Sergio Leone's Man With No Name trilogy. Unfortunately Western video games have always offered a poor examination of what it was. Gun, Call of Juarez, Red Dead Revolver and Dead Man's Hand all offered interesting ideas, but ultimately suffered from poor everything.

The story telling was often done through clunky missions, weapons handled like a game made in the early 90's and balance was often very delicately mismanaged. Rockstar did make a western before, but it was a flat and boring third person shooter that suffered from everything that all other Western games did. Red Dead Redemption, due out on the 18th, will hopefully make up for all the shit that game companies have left on our door steps regarding the genre.

If the trailers and previews are to be believed Red Dead Redemption will be well worth the wait. So, stay tuned to hear from me on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment